Re: [BKARTS] Klucel G?

so where does one find polyvinyl alcohol?

I have a lot of books that would benefit by this treatment.

Thanks,

Kathy G

On May 15, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Jet Foncannon wrote:

A recent post mentioned using Klucel G as a stabilizer for printed labels, etc.
When rebinding paperbacks, the spine is often frayed, and needs to be stabilized against further wear. I have discovered a very effective way of doing this. I use a solution of Polyvinyl Alcohol (NOT acetate) in water, about 1 tsp. per 1/4 cup. Allow it to dissolve, heating it if necessary. Then just brush over the spine. My next activity is to see whether it will also work on onlays. Stay posted!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead