[BKARTS] June workshops at the Center for Book Arts

Greetings from the Center for Book Arts:

There are still slots available in spring workshops at the Center for Book
Arts. Until May 31st, you can also take advantage of a limited-time discount
on workshops.  This is a great opportunity to jump in and learn new skills
at a special low rate, and if you become a member, you'll receive a double
discount. You can register online at
<http://www.centerforbookarts.org/classes> www.centerforbookarts.org/classes
or over the phone at 212-481-0295.

Below are some of the classes we have coming up in the next month:

From Plants to Fiber to Thread
Many of the plants in your garden or those you see at the side of the road
or find in the supermarket can be made into different types of cordage for
use in bookbinding. Daylillies, hollyhocks, iris and elm are some of the
plants that can find their way into books once their blooming season is
over. Work with flax, jute, raffia and other exotic fibers (even pineapple)
to produce thread. Learn several methods of harvesting, processing and
twining natural fibers. We will bind a bark covered book with samples to
take home.

June 6-7, Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4pm

Instructor: Peter Schell

Spring Special: $245
Special for Members: $230
(Regular Price: $260)

Double Talk: Duality in the Artist's Book

In this workshop we will explore notions of duality: two languages, two
voices, reading in two directions, two narratives. We will begin with a trip
to the Special Collections of The New York Public Library to view book works
that address duality--through their format, chosen subject matter or both.
We will discuss the challenges of working with text in its original language
and its translation. We will divide our time between the print shop, where
we will work on the Vandercook proof press to create printed covers for our
books, and the binding studio, constructing a book format appropriate for
this notion of duality.

June 22-26, Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4pm

Instructor: Lynne Avadenka

Spring Special: $500

Special for Members: $475

(Regular Price: $525)

Cloth Reback

This course is aimed at students with some experience of bookbinding who
want to further develop their skills in conservation and restoration.
Students will learn how to restore a cloth bound book and conserve the
original binding materials. Demonstrations and hands-on work will include:
cleaning and relining spines, making headbands, dying cloth, corner and
inner joint repair, headcap repair. Bring 2-3 books to work on.-Some
bookbinding experience required.

June 20-21, Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4pm

Instructor: Sophia Kramer

Spring Special: $245

Special for Members: $230

(Regular Price: $260)

The Brown Bag Bindery: Essential Tools 101
Many book arts facilities are limited in storage space and budgets to
purchase additional equipment. Now students can begin to acquire equipment
as they advance in their knowledge and skills. Continue creating books at
home after taking a workshop or community class. Complete and personalize: a
piercing cradle, sewing frame and finishing press. All tools are knock-down,
hand finished with multiple layers of eco-friendly paints. A carrying tote
is included.

June 27, Saturday, 10 am to 4pm

Instructor: Sylvia Alotta

Spring Special: $285

Special for Members: $270

(Regular Price: $300)

Platen Press Workshop

Printing business cards and invitations is faster and more efficient on a
platen press. Set lead type by hand, learn to lock it up in a chase, and
letterpress print editions of your own design.  This class will offer the
chance for students to use both our foot-operated treadle platen press and
our tabletop presses safely in this comprehensive two-day workshop.

June 20-21, Saturday and Sunday, 10 am to 4pm

Instructor: Barbara Henry

Spring Special: $245

Special for Members: $230

(Regular Price: $260)

Bookbinding for Artists

This intensive, beginning workshop is designed to enable artists to use the
book format in their work as a means of expanding, preserving, and
restructuring ideas. Students will make four to five books, including an
accordion book, a long-stitch book, and variations on the pamphlet binding,
as well as a simple box (or two). The properties of bookbinding materials
will be discussed in detail.

June 29-July 3, Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm

Instructor: Barbara Mauriello

Spring Special: $500

Members Special $475

(Regular Price $525)

Linoleum Prints

Summer is linoleum season. We will explore the medium and its myriad uses,
from simple patterns to complex color compositions. Linoleum is a perfect
accompaniment to type, and a great way to add color to the page. It can be
used to tell a story, to illustrate or to decorate, and can be printed on
the Center's Vandercook Proof Presses or at home on a kitchen table. We will
look at historical examples and learn techniques for transferring images,
for registration, color mixing and layering and combining linoleum with
other media such as watercolor, gouache and acrylics.

June 29-July 3, Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4pm

Instructor: Barbara Henry

Spring Special: $500

Members Special $475

(Regular Price $525)