Re: [BKARTS] halftone polymer plate printing

Lindsey,

 If you are talking about letterpress printing using polymer plates for
halftones, there are many factors to consider, perhaps chief among them the
type of paper. Smoother paper is much better for halftones, but even at its
highest quality, letterpress will not print imagery as well  as offset
lithography, which is one of the main reasons that offset is now the
commercial print medium of choice. However, offset printing would be
prohibitively expensive in such small quantities (50). Other considerations
with polymer are the number of colors, which will require registration, the
type of press and experience of the printer. Many variables, maybe too many
for such a short run.

I recommend good quality, archival ink jet. You will get the best rendition
of the imagery that way, and you have choices on paper. If you use inkjet
coated paper, you'll get the best color and detail.

Katie Harper

Katie Harper
Design Strategies & Letterpress Solutions
Fort Smith, AR 72903
479-434-6414
http://www.arsbrevispress.com

If you supply the Why, The How takes care of itself.
?Howard Fine