Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton

* * * * *

Book Arts 101: Midsummer Night's Dream Instructor John Cutrone

Thursday Evening, June 18, 2009
5:30 PM to 9:00 PM
All levels.

Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Book Arts Gallery, Letterpress Studio 351H and Book Studio 350C

Tuition schedule: Self-determined.
(Tuition is by open donation to JCBA's Scholarship Fund––you choose what you’d like to give.)

Midsummer's Night may be still a few days away, but you'll find magic already in the air as we transform you into a book artist for one evening though this 3.5-hour immersion in the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. We’ll begin with a screening of a 25-minute video about the Jaffe Collection, the renowned collection of artists' books that is the core of JCBA. We’ll follow this with an in-depth viewing of some of the amazing artists’ books in the collection (with a particular "Midsummer" slant).

Afterwards, we’ll move on to the JCBA Letterpress Studio, where each participant will print a sheet of paper from handset wood type. These sheets will be the covers for the books we’ll make, a brief history of the book arts that we’ll bind by hand in the Single Signature Pamphlet stitch. We'll wrap things up with a screening of the new video about the Jaffe Center for Book Arts. You’ll go home with a book you made yourself––one that you can read as sleep calls later that night, as you reflect on the new outlook on books (and maybe even life) that you’ve found earlier that evening at JCBA. “For there is great joy in knowing how to do things.” All levels. No print experience necessary.

John Cutrone, a graduate of the MFA Program in the Book Arts at the University of Alabama, is Programs Coordinator for JCBA. He is also a partner in Lake Worth's Convivio Bookworks, a book arts studio specializing in limited edition letterpress printed books and broadsides. (www.conviviobookworks.com)

To register, contact John Cutrone at jcutrone@xxxxxxx or visit the webpage for this workshop:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/ jaffeworkshops.bookarts101.htm

John Cutrone
Programs Coordinator