[BKARTS] Workshop: Map of the World at South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts

Book Arts Workshop in South Florida
at JCBA: Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton

* * * * *

Map of the World: Part One Instructor John Cutrone

Saturday & Sunday, July 11 & 12, 2009
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
All levels.

Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Book Studio 350C

Tuition schedule:
$195 general public / $165 FAU faculty and staff / $135 FAU students

Using paint and collage and a cartful of vintage travel guides and maps, each student in this class will create two artists’ books (and learn some way-cool techniques as part of the process). We’ll each begin in the same place, at Point A: with two large blank sheets of paper... and we’ll each end in the same place, at Point B: with two complete books. What happens in between Points A and B is the journey, and that’s where your creativity comes into play. We’ll explore heat collage, low-tech print, pochoir, and various other techniques as we transform those two blank sheets of paper, and you’ll learn a simple yet effective binding style that you can use again and again in future book projects. The instructor is open to a third class meeting, if the group feels it's necessary, on Saturday July 18--but this day's session would not be required of all participants. All levels.

John Cutrone, a graduate of the MFA Program in the Book Arts at the University of Alabama, is Programs Coordinator for JCBA. He is also a partner in Lake Worth's Convivio Bookworks, a book arts studio specializing in limited edition letterpress printed books and broadsides. (www.conviviobookworks.com)

To register, contact John Cutrone at jcutrone@xxxxxxx or visit the webpage for this workshop:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/ jaffeworkshops.mapoftheworld.htm

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator JCBA: Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library Boca Raton, Florida http://www.jaffecollection.org

*