[BKARTS] Seeking Leather for Guest Bookbinder

This year’s Smithsonian Folklife Festival features the country
of Wales.
 One feature of the festival is
traditional bookbinding.  Julian Thomas,
Head of Conservation at the National Library of Wales will be demonstrating
bookbinding.  The Smithsonian Center
for Folklife and Cultural Heritage is looking for large leather scraps for Mr. Thomas
to use during his demonstrations.  If you
would like to donate leather please contact Jason Morris directly at morrisja@xxxxxxx  The festival runs from June 24 - July 5 so donations
need to arrive prior to 6/24.

More information from Jason:

Mr. Thomas is ideally seeking enough leather to cover 1-2
reasonably sized books. I don't have exact sizes on the books, but I doubt that
we're looking at anything beyond 8 1/2" x 11" x 2". He'd also
like to have, if possible, leather samples, scraps, etc . . . that he could use
to demonstrate various techniques associated with preparing covers.

In general I think what we'd like to be able to create is a
space for Julian to demonstrate his craft that can also give some sense, to
Festival visitors, of what his daily work is like. Different types of leather, different
colors, qualities, etc . . . would be great. We'd like to have some material
for Julian to work with, but also samples that Festival visitors could examine
and perhaps practice with, etc . . .

Brief bio on Mr. Thomas (from the Folklife Festival website):
http://www.festival.si.edu/2009/wales/books.aspx

Julian Thomas

“Since 1980, Thomas has headed the conservation section in
the National Library of Wales. He also works on fine bindings and book
conservation projects at his home studio, and in 1996 he was elected a Fellow
of Designer Bookbinders. Thomas is a member of the Society of Bookbinders and
the Institute of Paper Conservation."

Jason Morris
Supply Assistant
Smithsonian Folklife Festival 2009
Email:  morrisja@xxxxxx

Office Phone:  202.633.6467
Office Fax:  202.633.6476
Cell Phone:  703.403.2290

Mailing Address:
Smithsonian Institution
Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
PO Box
 37012, MRC 520
Washington,
 DC 20013

For Deliveries:
Smithsonian Institution
Center for Folklife and Cultural Heritage
600 Maryland
  Avenue SW
Suite
 2001