[GBW] International Exhibition of Artistic Bookbinding, Estonia, 2010

The Estonian Association of Designer Bookbinders
in co-operation with the Estonian Academy of Arts
and the Estonian Leatherwork Artists? Union
invites you to participate in the International
Exhibition of Artistic Bookbinding

Scripta manent IV ?The Word Was Sung? (?Lauldud sõna?)
at the Estonian Museum of Applied Art And Design.

The exhibition will be opened on September 28,
2010 and will remain open until January 9, 2011.

All artists who relate to a book as a binding or
as an object of art through any material or
technique are welcome to participate. With this
exhibition we continue the tradition of
international bookbinding exhibitions in Estonia.
We follow the set practice that all participating
artists bind the same collections of text. This
time the exhibition is dedicated to the famous
Estonian composer Veljo Tormis whose music has
been inspired by the rich folklore and nature of
the Fenno-Ugric peoples and who is celebrating his 80th birthday in 2010.

300 bibliophile numbered sets of sheets in size
32 x 22,5 cm have been published for the
exhibition. Parallel texts in the Estonian and
English language have been printed on Cyclus
Offset 140 g plain paper made from recyclable
fibre. The title of the book is ?The Sung Word?,
the author of the book is Veljo Tormis, the text
has been written down by Urve Lippus from audio
transcripts and jottings. The text, exemplified
with musical notes, consists of four lectures
where Veljo Tormis speaks about his creative work
and the Estonian folk music. The sets of sheets
are accompanied by a CD that contains excerpts of
works by Veljo Tormis, his take on folk music for contemporary world.

Compositions by Veljo Tormis unite primal and
current sensibilities, the lore that has been
sung and will be sung again and again. He shows
to the audience the prehistoric spirit of our
ancestors and helps to perceive the true nature
of regilaul (the Estonian runic song)  the world
that existed in ancient songs and still continues to exist nowadays.
Simple and yet mystic music by Veljo Tormis has
fascinated thousands of music lovers in Estonia
and abroad. The composer does not comment on folk
song, he simply brings out all that existed in
the folk song since its inception at the time of
shamans, spells and incantations.

Please send the applications for participation in
the exhibition and for acquisition of the sets to
Mrs. Sirje Kriisa, the chairperson of the
Estonian Association of Designer Bookbinders, by August 1, 2009:

Mrs. Sirje Kriisa
Allika Street 2-54
76607 Keila
Harjumaa
Republic of Estonia
E-mail: sirje.kriisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The participation fee, which contains the cost of
sheets, the exhibition catalogue and the postal
expenses, is 90 EUR. Payments should be made via
bank transfer to the Non-Profit Organization
Estonian Association of Designer Bookbinders:

Receiver: Eesti Koitekunstnike Uhendus MTU
Bank: Swedbank AS, Liivalaia Street 8, 15040 Tallinn, Republic of Estonia
Reg. code: 10060701
IBAN code: EE032200001120170592
SWIFT code: HABAEE2X

NB! The artistic binding or object should not
weigh more than 3 kg and not exceed the
measurements 40 x 40 x 40 cm. Every artist who
has registered and paid the participation fee
will receive the set of sheets by post to the
postal address written on the registration form.
The exhibits together with a short biography of
the creative work of the artist and a short
technical description should be sent to the
Academic Library of Tallinn University starting
from February 1, 2010. The deadline for sending
exhibits is March 1, 2010 at the following address:

Mr. Rene Haljasmäe
Academic Library of Tallinn University
Rävala pst. 10
15042 Tallinn
Republic of Estonia
Tel. (+372) 665

REGISTRATION FORM

I wish to participate in the international
exhibition of bookbinding Scripta manent IV
?The Word Was Sung/Lauldud sõna?

First name:

Family name: