[BKARTS] International Exhibition of Artistic Bookbinding, Estonia, 2010

To: Book_Arts-L <BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: International Exhibition of Artistic Bookbinding, Estonia, 2010

The Estonian Association of Designer Bookbinders
in co-operation with the Estonian Academy of Arts
and the Estonian Leatherwork Artists’ Union
invites you to participate in the International Exhibition of Artistic Bookbinding

Scripta manent IV “The Word Was Sung“ (“Lauldud sõna”)
at the Estonian Museum of Applied Art And Design.

The exhibition will be opened on September 28, 2010 and will remain open until January 9, 2011.

All artists who relate to a book as a binding or as an object of art through any material or technique are welcome to participate. With this exhibition we continue the tradition of international bookbinding exhibitions in Estonia. We follow the set practice that all participating artists bind the same collections of text. This time the exhibition is dedicated to the famous Estonian composer Veljo Tormis whose music has been inspired by the rich folklore and nature of the Fenno-Ugric peoples and who is celebrating his 80th birthday in 2010.

300 bibliophile numbered sets of sheets in size 32 x 22,5 cm have been published for the exhibition. Parallel texts in the Estonian and English language have been printed on Cyclus Offset 140 g plain paper made from recyclable fibre. The title of the book is „The Sung Word“, the author of the book is Veljo Tormis, the text has been written down by Urve Lippus from audio transcripts and jottings. The text, exemplified with musical notes, consists of four lectures where Veljo Tormis speaks about his creative work and the Estonian folk music. The sets of sheets are accompanied by a CD that contains excerpts of works by Veljo Tormis, his take on folk music for contemporary world.

Compositions by Veljo Tormis unite primal and current sensibilities, the lore that has been sung and will be sung again and again. He shows to the audience the prehistoric spirit of our ancestors and helps to perceive the true nature of regilaul (the Estonian runic song)  the world that existed in ancient songs and still continues to exist nowadays.
Simple and yet mystic music by Veljo Tormis has fascinated thousands of music lovers in Estonia and abroad. The composer does not comment on folk song, he simply brings out all that existed in the folk song since its inception at the time of shamans, spells and incantations.

Please send the applications for participation in the exhibition and for acquisition of the sets to Mrs. Sirje Kriisa, the chairperson of the Estonian Association of Designer Bookbinders, by August 1, 2009:

Mrs. Sirje Kriisa
Allika Street 2-54
76607 Keila
Harjumaa
Republic of Estonia
E-mail: sirje.kriisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The participation fee, which contains the cost of sheets, the exhibition catalogue and the postal expenses, is 90 EUR. Payments should be made via bank transfer to the Non-Profit Organization Estonian Association of Designer Bookbinders:

Receiver: Eesti Koitekunstnike Uhendus MTU
Bank: Swedbank AS, Liivalaia Street 8, 15040 Tallinn, Republic of Estonia
Reg. code: 10060701
IBAN code: EE032200001120170592
SWIFT code: HABAEE2X

NB! The artistic binding or object should not weigh more than 3 kg and not exceed the measurements 40 x 40 x 40 cm. Every artist who has registered and paid the participation fee will receive the set of sheets by post to the postal address written on the registration form. The exhibits together with a short biography of the creative work of the artist and a short technical description should be sent to the Academic Library of Tallinn University starting from February 1, 2010. The deadline for sending exhibits is March 1, 2010 at the following address:

Mr. Rene Haljasmäe
Academic Library of Tallinn University
Rävala pst. 10
15042 Tallinn
Republic of Estonia
Tel. (+372) 665

REGISTRATION FORM

I wish to participate in the international exhibition of bookbinding Scripta manent IV
„The Word Was Sung/Lauldud sõna”

First name:

Family name: