Re: [BKARTS] Message archiving

I have a suggestion that may enable continued archiving of group messages into the future, although I do not know whether it would be possible to migrate past archives.

The free Yahoo Groups set-up, while in no way perfect, is quite good and allows online archiving of messages. Access to the archives can be public or limited to members only. I belong to a number of Yahoo-based groups and a quick search of the message archives of these groups revealed that all messages back to message number 1 are still accessible. In one case this was over 45,000 messages and dated back to the year 2000. It is also possible for the archives to be downloaded for storage by the group owner which seems a good idea when you realize what a wealth of information is contained.

I don't have any affiliation with Yahoo, and realize there may be good reasons for choosing another, perhaps university-based option, but should this not be available, the Yahoo service is available and is free.

Amanda Watson-Will
Address: 1/50 Dutton St, Hawthorne, QLD, 4171, Australia

blog: amandawatson-will.blogspot.com
photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandaw-w/
facebook: Make me your friend

This page last changed: June 12, 2009