Re: [BKARTS] Conservation OnLine No Longer Being Supported - Thank you Walter and SUL

Our library faces a similar problem.  ACU has been hosting a church history
discussion list (Stone-Campbell movement) for the past 15 years or so.  The
archive search function has been dead for several years, and the machine
that physically still holds the tens of thousands of posts is on the brink
of destruction.  We are looking at ways to potentially integrate the list
archive into our soon-to-be-launched digital archive that is based on
D-space software.  I'm not an open-source programmer and can give no details
into the specifics of this conversion, but as I understand it the antiquated
list-serv software will still manage functionality of the list while dumping
all new posts into the D-space archive.

350Mb isn't going to be that big a strain on any digital archive.  The
problem is finding an institution that cares enough about the list to take
on the project.  I care about it personally, but to "sell" the idea to our
5-library consortium is a completely different matter.

Chad Longley
Preservation Coordinator
ACU Brown Library
ACU Box 29208