Re: [BKARTS] Conservation OnLine No Longer Being Supported - Thank you Walter and SUL

Hi Peter,
Yes, wholeheartedly THANKS to Walter! I have used the resource to great effect for my clients.

I wonder if the University of New Brunswick, which hosts the letterpress listserver would be willing to handle the archive? It seems that it certainly ties in with their interest in letterpress.

Another thought would be the Canadian Conservation Institute, a fantasic resource funded by the government of Canada.
While I have no contact at the former I would be prepared to approach some of the people I have worked with online at the CCI but others like yourself are probably better briefed and knowledgeable on what is needed.

Dave Allen

840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
(250)888-9380    http://www.Bookbinder.ca

Peter D. Verheyen wrote:
I have thought about this and I don't see a replacement. What makes CoOL so special is that it is both a forum for discussion on all issues conservation/preservation, and a repository of papers, publications, and numerous list archives. Many of these are now historic, Abbey Newsletter comes to mind.

The big advantage CoOL had was that Walter could build it as he saw appropriate and he did a great job bringing together the various fragmented organizations and sub-groups of those in one place. Who here has not learned something from another discipline applicable to books... AIC will have a tough job ahead to fill this void, especially on the discussion group end of things. There really isn't one for Books and Paper, and one has to be a member of the various specialty groups to get on their lists if they have one.

On the plus side is that in these past 22 years MANY more individuals and organizations have gone online, but there is currently nothing that ties them together like CoOL did.

p.