Re: [BKARTS] What about the Getty

Unfortunately the Getty is also experiencing financial problems (who
would have thunk it?) and is giving up their hosting of a couple of very
critical art/architecture bibliographic databases. We in the art
librarian world recently received the news:  "Beginning January 1, 2010,
the Getty will no longer support the ongoing IBA (International
Bibliography of Art). As you may know, the Getty suffered severe losses
in its investments in the past year. Drastic reductions had to be made
in services and staff across the Getty. At the Getty Research Institute,
which houses BHA/IBA, support for BHA/IBA and for Avery were cut."

I'll add my gratitude for Walter Henry's development of and Stanford's
support for CoOL. When I was working in Rare Books I used it often, was
subscribed to his listserv, and learned a lot, which I have carried with
me into my present positions. 'Tis a most valuable resource and this
news makes this week's New Yorker cover (alien reading a book,
surrounded by smashed digital equipment) all the more relevant.

Are we/have we created a digital world that we're not going to be able
to afford to keep?

All the more reason to keep making books!

Karen

Karen Lightner
Head, Art Department and
Curator, Print & Picture Collection (until a replacement is in place)
Free Library of Philadelphia
1901 Vine St., Philadelphia, PA 19103
215.686.5405 (voice); 215.563.3628 (fax)
LightnerK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.friendsofpix.org
www.freelibrary.org

Quoting Barbara Maloutas <maloutas@xxxxxxxx>:

> In these trying times is there still an organization with funding for
what
> could be lost with the shut down of CoOL? I'm new to the Book Arts
list
> serve, but the Getty came to mind. The librarians of that institution
and
> others happen to be meeting in our building today.
>
> Barbara

This page last changed: June 12, 2009