[BKARTS] July Workshops at South Florida's Jaffe Center for Book Arts

JAFFE CENTER for BOOK ARTS
at Florida Atlantic University's Wimberly Library

Our next two Cool Book Arts Summer workshops are coming up in July:
"Map of the World, Part One" and "Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here."

* * * * *

MAP of the WORLD: Part One Instructor John Cutrone

Saturday & Sunday, July 11 & 12, 2009
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
All levels.
Jaffe Center for Book Arts
Book Studio 350C

Tuition schedule:
$195 general public / $165 FAU faculty and staff / $135 FAU students

Using paint and collage and a cartful of vintage travel guides and maps, each student in this class will create two artists’ books (and learn some way-cool techniques as part of the process). We’ll each begin in the same place, at Point A: with two large blank sheets of paper... and we’ll each end in the same place, at Point B: with two complete books. What happens in between Points A and B is the journey, and that’s where your creativity comes into play. We’ll explore heat collage, low-tech print, pochoir, and various other techniques as we transform those two blank sheets of paper, and you’ll learn a simple yet effective binding style that you can use again and again in future book projects. The instructor is open to a third class meeting, if the group feels it's necessary, on Saturday July 18––but this day's session would not be required of all participants.

(Note from the instructor: Someone's asked if, based on the class name, there would be a Part Two.... well, no, not exactly. Part Two is where you come into play. What I'm teaching here are techniques and a binding you can use over and over again in your work... so, in my head, Part Two is what you bring to it after the class.)

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/ jaffeworkshops.mapoftheworld.htm

*

AL-MUTANABBI STREET STARTS HERE Instructor John Cutrone Five Sessions: July 7 to July 28, plus August 25, 2009 (Tuesday Evenings) 6pm to 9pm Tuition Schedule: $285 general public / $225 FAU faculty & staff / $175 FAU students

On March 5, 2007, a car bomb was detonated on al-Mutanabbi Street, the centuries-old center of bookselling in Baghdad. Soon afterwards, an international group of poets, writers, artists, letterpress printers, booksellers, and readers gathered to create Al-Mutanabbi Street Coalition––in response not only to the tragedy of the 30 deaths and 100 injuries, but also to the idea of a targeted attack on a street that has always been a place for the exchange of ideas. The coalition’s goal was to respond to the tragedy with positive creativity: by printing broadsides featuring the work of Iraqi poets and supporting Doctors Without Borders––a non-profit agency working to relieve suffering in Iraq and in other troubled areas of the world––through the sales of these broadsides.

In this letterpress printing class, we will continue this work. We'll work in the broadside form, which brings art and poetry together on one plane. Your participation earns you a place in the international Al-Mutanabbi Street Coalition, whose goal is to produce 130 limited edition broadsides––one broadside to commemorate each casualty the day of the bombing. This is a very moving project. If you've ever wanted to take part in a creative project that has real teeth to it and makes you feel like you're making a positive impact on a crazy world... this is it:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/ jaffeworkshops.mutanabbistreet.htm

*

INSTRUCTOR for all of these workshops is John Cutrone (yes that's me.) I am a graduate of the MFA Program in the Book Arts at the University of Alabama, and Programs Coordinator for JCBA. I come to JCBA as a book artist: I am a partner in Lake Worth's Convivio Bookworks, a book arts studio specializing in limited edition letterpress printed books and broadsides. At Convivio we've created literary handmade books and broadsides with the likes of National Public Radio's Bailey White, the Sabbathday Lake Shaker Community in Maine, furniture maker Christian Becksvoort, and poets Zaid Shlah, Shin Yu Pai, and Bridget Pegeen Kelly. Our newest book, to be released this summer, is "The Big Me and the Pygmy" by Madam X. (www.conviviobookworks.com)

* * * * *

Details on these and August workshops, too, are at JCBA's workshops page:

http://www.library.fau.edu/depts/spc/JaffeCenter/jaffeworkshops.htm

Stay cool this summer in JCBA's air-conditioned comfort and our C*O*O*L Book Arts Summer!
John

John Cutrone Programs Coordinator The Arthur & Mata Jaffe Center for Book Arts Florida Atlantic University Wimberly Library 777 Glades Road Boca Raton, Florida 33431 http://www.jaffecollection.org

*