Re: [BKARTS] archival mist?

It is much less expensive to arrange with Preservation Technologies to do the work for you. They have a mass deacidification plant to handle whole books, and they also will handle quantities of manuscript and archival materials. Or at least they used to do. One could telephone them for current practices and prices. I found them extremely easy to work with and economical for my clients.

I've done surface testing of pH on pieces which were deacidified with either Wei-T'o or Bookkeeper, and after ten years no change in the pH was noted. Each was still properly alkaline. For a controlled test one would have to do a chemical analysis of the paper, which actually destroys the sample. Since I was dealing with the property of individuals, I couldn't do that. Stability after many years seemed good, however.

I did not send leather bindings to PT, however, because test pieces showed some problems with corners and edges of the leather.

Carol
Eugene, OR