Re: [BKARTS] (OT, a Little?) flattening wet paper

Just as and odd sidebar, I remember an old professor (he wasn't all that old, then) describing surfactants as those materials that make water wetter...

David Amstell wrote:
As we see it, the addition of alcohol to the washing water serves two
functions in the washing procedure.

1. It acts as a solvent to "dissolve out" certain types of foreign matter,

2.  It acts as a surfactant to break down the surface tension, allowing the
water to enter right into the interstices of the fibres, and do its job of
pushing foreign matter out.

Surfactants are important when washing paper, both old papers and modern
papers. Surface tension will often prevent water from entering the surface
of the paper, making the washing procedure useless on that part of the
paper. Denatured alcohol is one type of surfactant which can be used, but
it can be risky if the paper is printed or typed. A less volatile and risky
surfactant is your regular extra-strong kitchen detergent.

Remember Surf, the washing machine detergent?  It's name was taken from the
chemical name "surfactant", describing the very action of what washing is
all about, breaking down the surface tension, to allow the action of the
water to push the dirt out!

David

(perhaps searched badly) speaks to how to flatten the paper afterward.

Does the wash (20% alcohol), prevent mold if stacked and pressed?
Ironing?  I'd be grateful for any advice, suggestions, links to articles.

Thanks.

--
Mary Jo Koranda			Law Library
Head of Circulation		University of Wisconsin Madison

-- Universal Health Care...NOW!