From: Penny McElroy <penny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [BKARTS] Question for university professors: career advice
To: BOOK_ARTS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7:41 PM

Hi Deborah-
The preparation you'd need would depend on what kind of teaching job you were interested in. If you wanted a full time, tenure track position you'd need a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree - because, most places, this is considered the "terminal" degree in studio art and is required for tenure and promotion in a traditional academic system. If you were interested in adjunct or part time teaching, your experience as a book binder would likely be seen as sufficient to teach a bookbinding class. For adjunct work, you would want to send a portfolio of examples along with your CV and letter of interest when you apply, since your degree is in another field.

Hope this helps!
penny

Penny McElroy
Professor of Art