[BKARTS] Printed Matter Awards $25,000 to Artists

AWARDS FOR ARTISTS

Award Winners Announced

Printed Matter Awards $25,000 to Artists!

Printed Matter is pleased to announce the winners of our first annual Awards for Artists. Made possible by a generous gift from the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, Awards for Artists provides aid to artists who make books in a climate that is particularly difficult for artists.

Awards for Artists is adjudicated through a peer group process: Printed Matter invited twenty artists to nominate up to five artists each for the award. From the 63 finalists, a jury of three artists—Geoff Hendricks, Robin Kahn, and Paul Mpagi Sepuya—chose the following ten artists to receive an award of $2,500 each:

Osa Atoe (New Orleans, LA)

Heather Benjamin (Basking Ridge, NJ)

Nicholas Dumit Estevez (Bronx, NY)

Edie Fake (Baltimore, MD)

Eve Fowler (Los Angeles, CA)

Chitra Ganesh (Brooklyn, NY)

K8 Hardy (Brooklyn, NY)

Arnold Kemp (Brooklyn, NY)

Julio Cesar Morales (San Francisco, CA)

Carlo Quispe (New York, NY)

Printed Matter will present an exhibition of the award winners in September, 2009.

Printed Matter thanks the 20 nominators and the 63 finalists for their work on the project: the material we received, much of it from artists we did not previously know of, was of an astonishingly high quality.

Printed Matter staff and their families are not eligible to nominate or be nominated, nor may they sit on the jury for these awards. Nominees are chosen through a closed process; we do not accept unsolicited applications.

For more information, please contact aabronson @ printedmatter.org.

Printed Matter, Inc. is an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1976 by artists and art workers with the mission to foster the appreciation, dissemination, and understanding of artists' books and other artists' publications.

Printed Matter, Inc. has received support, in part, through grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, the New York State Council on the Arts, the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, Altria Group Inc, the Milton & Sally Avery Arts Foundation, The Cowles Charitable Trust, the Foundation for Contemporary Arts, The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation, The Gesso Foundation, The Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, the Schoenstadt Family Foundation, The Roy and Niuta Titus Foundation, The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, and individuals worldwide.