[BKARTS] Springback Binding

Hi, All.
I've been working on a bunch of old springback bindings and have posted a few photos at
http://gildedleafbindery.blogspot.com/
We were able to use original springs when still present but needed new springs for some. We were able to capture the right arcs by using heavy cardboard tubes, a table saw, belt sander, etc. I recall the Bone Folder featuring an article on a very lightweight spring (cardstock) and watched Karen Hanmer demonstrate this in her studio for the Chicago Hand Bookbinders. These are quite massive (1/4" to 3/8" thick) and very sturdy.

Bob Roberts
The Gilded Leaf: Fine Bookbinding & Restoration
1149 Walker School Road, Maryville TN 37803
(865) 380-5759
www.gildedleafbindery.com

This page last changed: June 24, 2009