Re: [BKARTS] Springback Binding

Robert, photos look great and glad you were able to retain some of the old springs.

No tutorials on the springback in "The Bonefolder," but I do have two tutorials online at:

German Style <http://www.philobiblon.com/springback>
English Style <http://www.philobiblon.com/springback-eng/index.html>

Not sure which version Karen demo'd, but spring thickness/strength is directly tied to the size of the book... Bigger book, bigger spring. And, taking the German one as an example, on a small book with 98pt boards, those 98pts of built up paper/card make for a very stiff spring... No slackers there. Matter of fact it's very easy to make it too stiff.

Enjoy, p.

Quoting "roroberts@xxxxxxxx" <roroberts@xxxxxxxx>:

Hi, All.
I've been working on a bunch of old springback bindings and have posted a few photos at
http://gildedleafbindery.blogspot.com/
We were able to use original springs when still present but needed new springs for some. We were able to capture the right arcs by using heavy cardboard tubes, a table saw, belt sander, etc. I recall the Bone Folder featuring an article on a very lightweight spring (cardstock) and watched Karen Hanmer demonstrate this in her studio for the Chicago Hand Bookbinders. These are quite massive (1/4" to 3/8" thick) and very sturdy.

Bob Roberts The Gilded Leaf: Fine Bookbinding & Restoration 1149 Walker School Road, Maryville TN 37803 (865) 380-5759 www.gildedleafbindery.com

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
<verheyen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>