Re: [BKARTS] The Ideal Blank Journal

Probably like most on this list, I make my own journals more often than I buy them. For writing my favorite size is 9x7, and I use something like Superfine, which has a good surface. I can draw in pencil or ink, if I want, and I can write whole pages. Generally, I don't print lines on the leaves. This is the size I prefer for my journals, etc., and I spent several years deciding on it. Since I often attach miscellaneous stuff to the pages, half the leaves are only stubs. In other words the book is a kind of album, rather than a book of blank pages. They are a pain in the keister to sew, and I prefer a sewn binding, although a fan-glued book of individual leaves is okay, if the grain is vertical. I've done this for myself only once. Most commercially made journals don't have vertical grain, and that is a constant irritation.

I am still figuring out what I like for an art journal. I draw and I do collage, and with the latter the extra thickness quickly becomes a problem. A metal coil binding is not my favorite, but it gives me flexibility, whereas a sewn binding would soon be out of shape or divided into separate books. Sizes on art journals vary considerably... some for home use, some to carry.

Carol
-----