[BKARTS] Previous state

I am preparing a number of 18th and 19th century volumes for public
display which are acceptable in overall condition, but are defaced
with late 20thc library stamps. These, invariably, have been placed
on the title page, opposite the plate/frontispiece.

I'd like to remove these stamps, but should I?

What protocols are there for 'cleaning up' books?

If, in the course of restoration, these are removed, is the volume
diminished?

What about removing bookplates?

What is the 'original state'?

Should we care?

But to get back to the primary issue; what can I use to remove the
stamp ink?

Neil Wynes Morse
The Canberra Curmudgeon

BTW, A great source of fine leather for book artisanry is old masonic
aprons. I saw a beautiful example produced by the President at the
last meeting of the Canberra Craft Bookbinders Guild.