Re: [BKARTS] letterpress safety

If its because of the lead content of metal type (which is around 60%, and then tin and antimony), there is very little to worry about. Instruct your students to wash their hands after handling type before eating, make sure no one snacks on the space quads and you should be all set.

Many times, when this question is asked, I've heard that "More life- time printers died of cirrhosis of the liver than ever were affected by lead poisoning."

As for storage, keep them in type cases. Type can corrode, and this corrosion is more hazardous than the type itself. Make sure the studio is dry with good air circulation. Solvents in the air are also more immediately hazardous than handling type. This also aids in making sure any wooden cases don't swell and warp, making them hard to handle and causing the type to corrode.

Other facilites you can contact are the Chicago Center for Book and Paper (http://www.colum.edu/book_and_paper/), and SAIC's Letterpress Bookworks studio. (admiss@xxxxxxxx, ask for a direct email, they'll send it to you I cna't find it.)

Both of those resources have years of experience with using letterpress tools and equipment in a teaching environment.

Good luck
Jenny