Re: [BKARTS] Galleries and museums that feature artists' books?

Hi Paul,

I'm only pointing out that I think that museum and library collections should be open to people who don't fall into the "academics" category as well as those who do. That's why we offered the free listing on our website only to those institutions who treat all art-&-book lovers as equals. I had some conversations with curators who wanted to be listed but would open their reading rooms only to "credential-holding academics" (their phrase, not mine) and convinced several to change their policy if people would take the time to write a letter asking for an appointment -- the proof that they were "serious" students of books.

Another thing that might help open up the places that are still hard to access, might be for artists to ask an institution that is buying their work if they are "open" -- and make the case that otherwise they themselves, as artists, would not normally get to see work in the collection.

Finding ways to "get over" or circumvent the exclusivity of some places is fine, but let's work on getting these places to open up to everyone. (No, I'm not suggesting that fragile works should be available for everyone to handle,  white gloves and special care are still options.)

Carol

>Date:    Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:28:55 -0400
>From:    Paul T Werner <paul.werner@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Galleries and museums that feature artists' books?
>
>Sorry to correct you, Carol, but "credential-holding academics" are regular people, too - even if one of my nostrils is larger than the other. Some of us are even artists!
>
>It's the mission of libraries and such to make their resources available to those who can benefit from them. The fact that a number of libraries and museums make themselves unreasonably unavailable should not be accepted; in fact, I usually spend some time telling my undergraduates how to "get over" when doing research, because no matter how credential-holding one becomes there is always some librarian, curator or collector to cajole. I'm glad Carol considers herself among the more generous ones, but it's really no more than is due.
>
>> If you're looking for places where students can regularly see artists' books, don't forget the museums > and libraries that collect them AND are open to artists and regular people -- not just "credential-> holding academics." Our list at the American Print Alliance includes only those that answered us that
>> they allow the books to be studied even when not on display.
>
>Paul Werner, New York
>http://theorangepress.com
>
>WOID: A journal of visual language
>THE ORANGE PRESS, publishing "Vellum Preparation: History and Technique"
>DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe

>Pre-order your GBW "Marking Time" exhibition catalog before August 1, 2009
>     to save $5 off the $35 regular price. For more information see:
><http://cool-palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/exhibit/2009exhibit.shtml#catalog>
>
>       NOW ONLINE, Volume 5, No. 2, Spring 2009 of The Bonefolder
>       <http://www.philobiblon.com/bonefolder/vol5no2contents.htm>
>
>For all your subscription questions, go to the Book_Arts-L FAQ and Archive.

>End of BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 26 Jun 2009 to 27 Jun 2009 (#2009-178)

This page last changed: June 28, 2009