[BKARTS] Galleries and museums that feature artists' books?

Hi, Carol!

Both our hearts are in the same place. I simply wished to point out that not-for-profit corporations are granted that status because they are in the public interest. It's not their prerogative to accommodate the researcher or artist, it's their legal obligation! Incidentally, that is historically the sole justification for all and any corporation in Anglo-Saxon law, going back to the fourteenth century and stretching into the nineteenth. Just don't try it at Chase.

A very good friend of mine, who is now at the top of his profession in the arts, once went to the curator of a major collection in New York and asked to see some works. The curator steadfastly refused, informing my friend that he wasn't a "real" researcher. In exasperation my friend shouted at him, "If there hadn't been artists like me back then, people like you would be out of a job!" The curator stopped dead in his tracks, smiled, and invited my friend into the vaults. Repeatedly. Over years. They're still good friends.

Be well,

Paul Werner, New York
http://theorangepress.com

WOID: A journal of visual language
DRAGONSBLOOD AND ASHES, a project to research and practice the techniques of the medieval scribe

This page last changed: June 28, 2009