[BKARTS] Summertime workshops- rural WI

Perhaps you'll find yourself interested in one or two offerings...
Whispering Woodlands    Summertime Updates

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! It's here, summertime, and we are ready for you. the birds have been practicing their songs and the hummers (humming birds that is) have been taking flight lessons in the gazebo again. The ferns won't look any more lush-n-tropical and the day lilies, well they're just out of control. (as usual)     Oh darn, the days are getting shorter. . .

July offers an opportunity for learning & a review for the weavers in our mix, join Madison weaver and fiber artist Briony Foy for the evening of Weave Drafting Tues. July 7,  6-9   $45

Due to an unexpected program cancellation we have an open weekend and we want to see the place humming. We have recreated the weekend into a 1st Anniversary celebration at Whispering Woodlands. You'll still have time to take in Farmer's Market and/or the Art Fairs!     Personal, private or public, anniversaries are celebrated in many ways. This is one we want public! Whispering Woodlands 1st Anniversary!!! In honor of this occasion we are holding a studio round robin,  aka,  Spontaneous altered embellished collaborations  Fri/Sat/Sun    July 10, 11 & 12     1 -5   $35 each day  (bring your picnic lunch to enjoy on the deck, come any time after 11, eat & take in a walk before activities begin) Participate one or all 3 days, each will be a unique experience with various outcomes, to be determined by those attending. Open to all skill levels.  Not to be missed!    Sign up now, space is limited.

Following the celebration we have an out of town guest artist and author, Ben Rinehart. Join in the experience, sure to provide you with new approaches and a new dimension to your art making. No previous box making experience necessary.   Boxes With Drawers & Dividers In this two day intensive workshop, learn how to make a single box structure that has a sliding drawer and dividers to hold your most treasured items.  Sat/Sun, July 18, 19   10-4    $175/$15 materials

For a weekday evening of fun and colorful art join Madison artist Amy Climer in making fabric postcards. She is sure to delight your muse in creative and joyful learning.  Postcard Play  Fabric Postcard!  Be the first to send one to your friends. The small size of the quilt allows fearless experimentation.  Wed July 22 6-9 pm $55/5 materials.

Spend the following weekend with Kay Brathol-Hostvet exploring the possibilities of Acrylics. Another Madison local artist and repeat instructor at Whispering Woodlands, Kay is sure to keep you productive and learning in her relaxed yet informative teaching style. Experimental Acrylic   An intense, thought-provoking workshop experience! Focus on the application of acrylic paint in creating non-representational works based on technical experimentation, emotional and cerebral responses to design and color exercises, journaling, music interpretation and group discussions. Painting experience in any medium is helpful. Students have called this workshop "life changing." Fri, Sat & Sun, July 24, 25 & 26,   9 - 4   Held in conjunction with UW Extension Continuing Education         IMPORTANT: Please register with UW Extension, Enroll by July 16   2.0 CEU, $225, Program #2511/10        UW Extension Link

Whispering Woodlands is stretching a bit and including the healing arts as another form of workshop for growth and learning.  Lead by Madison resident Bonnie Schmidt, we offer a relaxed and nurturing environment for A Retreat for Women Living with Heart Disease As heart sisters we readily share the exact date and time of our event(s), our diagnosis, and our procedures. We know by-heart our treatment plans and the many ways we are or should be taking care of our heart health. All are physical aspects of living with heart disease. What is more difficult to know, recognize, and to share is what having heart disease means for us emotionally and spiritually. Join other heart sisters in a retreat that will explore the emotional and spiritual aspects of living with heart disease. July 30/31   Thurs 7 - 9 pm  &  Fri  9 - 4   $65 includes light snacks & beverages *Click below for separate registration and information*   Womens Heart Retreat Registration/Information PDF file

Wow, that's it for July, then it's on to August with: Wet, Wild & Refreshing: Papermaking  conducted by Jackie Hefty.  During the 'dog days' of summer, what better artistic activity than a wet, wild and refreshing weekend of papermaking.  Good clean fun with many artistic possibilities. You'll be immersed in the paper making . Sat/Sun Aug 1 & 2  10- 4   $145/$15 materials

And that's just the beginning of the fun in August. You won't want to miss this opportunity to participate in a recently featured technique in the Quilting Arts e-newsletter with award winning quilter and mixed media artist, Judy Coates Perez. Copper & Canvas:  Mixed Media Artist Books    As seen in Cloth Paper Scissors & Quilting Arts Magazines and their online newsletter! Create a unique mixed media book using canvas, paper, paints and copper in this fun and informative workshop.   A "Creative Metal Beginner Tool Kit" will be provided courtesy of Walnut Hollow.  Sat/Sun, August 8 & 9  10 - 4:30   $265/$10 materials

Our summer's creativity doesn't stop.  Explore one of the newest fiber art techniques, that has everyone doing it, felting. Take your skills one notch further and explore the possibilities of needle felted 'painting'. Local Madison fiber artist, Briony Jean Foy, offers up this weekend of fun and learning. Needle Felted "Painting"   Create a landscape, portrait or abstract composition that you will be proud to frame and display  No experience necessary or can be a good review.  Sat/Sun Aug 15 & 16  10- 4   $175

From time to time we all need a little time away, a refresher in one of the basics of art, Drawing. Local Madison pastel and acrylic painting artist, Kay Brathol-Hostvet offers the guidance and inspiration for two days of learning enjoyment. Art of Drawing  -  Drawing is the foundation for all the visual arts.  This two-day workshop is for those who want to develop better drawing skills and gain more pleasure in the drawing process.  There will be basic lessons for beginners and challenges for more advanced students.  Kay says "I can't stress enough the importance of developing drawing skills-even for those who are primarily 3-D artists.  A lack of drawing skills often relates to a lack of understanding of spatial concepts, and with problems with 'vision' - the ability to create in artwork what is in one's imagination."  . . .Fri/Sat, Aug 21 & 22   9-4:00  $145 / $5 materials

Whispering Woodlands  welcomes you to join in, to take part, to learn and most of all to enjoy your time away, your retreat to nature for the creative mind. Be sure to check out the website for current updates and the continuation of fall workshop postings.   We look forward to seeing you soon. - Jackie

Jackie Hefty
Whispering Woodlands
a Retreat to Nature for the Creative Mind
(608) 848-9761
www.whispering-woodlands.com

This page last changed: June 30, 2009